Trading Spaces Project #2.5

Well I'm officially finished. I think. The girls now have the room of my dreams for a grand total cost of only $60! Two walls were painted turquoise blue, and the others stayed a lime green. We traded the black furniture for white with the boys dressers and whatever else needed to be white I sprayed with spray paint, and the added touch of hot pink on the drawers with silver knobs adds a neat detail. I found hot pink and turquoise comforters on clearance at B.B.&B., and with coupons they came only to $24 each and included a pillow sham and even came in a cute bag made out of the same material. The girls were awesome about going through all their drawers stuffed with doodly-doos that were basically gathering dust and then donated their unused stuff to the garage sale pile. Even though they have a bigger bedroom than the boys, they use much more lotions and potions and hair straighteners, so in order to make it work, a lot of their "kid-stuff" had to go, like some stuffed animals and a "few" Jacob posters...(of course they hung up the biggest and best one on their closet door). I was so surprised when we, I mean I, was done to see how much more space they actually had compared to when they had their own rooms. My absolute favorite piece in their room is the Unicorn and Lion painting my Aunt Helen painted on my baby crib that we've saved all these years....the colors are beautiful and it just so happens my daughters love unicorns as much as I did at their age. They're always amazed and maybe shocked when they find out we have similar tastes in common.

The girls are getting along for now but I noticed Josie took the time to label her jeans since I was making the horrible mistake of mixing them up into Lanie's drawers. And though they're not drawing lines on the floor yet, there's still the occasional issues of what's "yours, mine, and ours". So that brought me to my last part of this project: the empty downstairs bedroom. I knew there would be times when they would have both of their friends over and they might want spaces separate from each other, so without waiting too long for the upstairs paint to dry I pressed on to painting the downstairs room. I'm pretty sure my kids were bored of the painting clothes I was living in for a week and concerned when they saw me chugging up and down the stairs saying, "must keep going..., must keep going..." (To best understand my mentality, watch the episode of Friends when Monica redecorates the apartment and is up until midnight making sure it gets done). The furniture in the downstairs room is still a bit of a mystery, so for now a temporary table is set up for crafts and the extra computer is tucked away in the corner. We're on a bit of a budget so until we get inspired at IKEA's clearance room or discover a fantabulous garage sale find, we'll just wait. And we all know how much I like waiting.

0 comments:




MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com