Teen-Talks


I have never questioned myself as a parent much as I've had these past couple months. It's been interesting figuring out fair boyfriend guidelines, cell phone texting time-limits, hang-out times after homework, soccer club commitments, friend issues, appropriate face-book statements, and the importance of being honest. The biggest challenge has been figuring out what exactly are fair rules and then what works for consequences when rules aren't followed...(at least the dishes are getting done!) There are so many new gray areas we haven't even covered yet, and I worry if I don't stay two steps ahead, I might overlook something important.

I care about my kids so much and I've decided that I'm okay if it makes me less of a cool Mom that I want to know where my kids are, who they're with, and what's going on in their lives. I get that it's important for teens to prefer to be with her friends in this time of their lives, but I'm also trying to remind my daughter to figure out a way to balance that out with all her other priorities such as homework, soccer, church, and family....(and then when she figures it out, to let me know the secret because I have a lot on my plate too!!) This season is busy and there's usually no choice but to keep on going.

We've talked a lot...maybe too much....but we talk. We've talked up until midnight with both our heads leaning over the edge of my bed that our hair reached the floor. We talk to and from soccer practices, in between a few good songs on the only 2 acceptable radio stations. We talk at Chili's during her school lunch hour. We talk in my bathroom when she's looking for a better hair product. We talk at 10:30p.m., in between crunchy bites of cereal. We talk after church, (not before). We talk over mocha lattes or tropical smoothies. And when we can't leave a conversation happy, we just hug and say I love you anyway...or just take a break.

We talk, and we listen, we cry, we laugh, and we learn, and she keeps growing up...we both do actually. I've learned it's not always the most important thing to have to be right and do all the talking...and it's sometimes better to be quiet and just listen and give them the opportunity to share their heart with you. Sharing involves trust, and I hope I have the strength to always remember that. I'm the oldest in my family as she is, so I'm reminded it can be a mistake to go too hard on every issue.

To everything there is a season...and in 2 weeks she'll be only 4 years away from being 18!! My baby ruckus is growing up too fast!

0 comments:




MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com