Waiting out the storm...

When I was little I used to have a huge fear of tornados and volcanos.  I was convinced that the neighborhood was going to one day drown in hot piles of firey-lava or get swept away in a twister.  And, it just so happened that on my 10th birthday our home had a close call with a severe thunderstorm and my family had to take cover in our laundry room while a giant tree was knocked down in the street nearby.  I can remember clutching my knees for dear life and shivering in fear while hoping the storm sirens would stop as the hail and wind pounded our house.  Waiting out that storm was probably one of the scariest moments of my life.

But I'll admit I have a part of me that is still scared to death about things that are out of my control.  And one thing that scares me more than tornado's and volcano's is watching any of my kids struggle to breathe.

Tonight I am spending the night in a children's hospital with Aydan, my 7 year old, as we wait out a few rounds of breathing treatments for his asthma that flared up in the middle of the night yesterday.  This isn't our first experience watching him wheeze, cough, and clench his chest muscles so hard to draw air...and though I'm familiar with the drill of necessary steroids and medications that help to open up his lungs, it worries me when he still struggles to breathe.  What's new this time is that he was actually admitted for an overnight stay here at the hospital, but I can't complain too much since this is a brand new facility and he has his own room with an adjustable bed and one pullout for me, a bathroom/shower, internet access, and movies.  He definately is liking video games in bed.

Of course I wish I could just click my ruby slippers and whisk us both away from here...because there really is "just no place like home"...but it's usually just a big waiting game with asthma.  This time I hope and pray God calms both the storm and his child...but for now we just have to wait.

I'm watching him sleep.  and breathe.  He has the longest most adorable eyelashes.  I love that he still loves to sleep with his little bunny...(that he was given on an Easter Sunday in a hospital 4 years ago when we found out he had a broken leg). 

He's such a good patient.  I just heard a nurse say he is way too cute.
...get better soon, my sweet boy. 
Love you forever.

1 comments:



luci said...

Kate, you're a cool lady.
I'm so sorry about Aydan, he's a sweet boy. I'll be praying for him and your family!


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com