All American Girl

I picked up my daughter at her high school's first football game the other night, and wow, was that a little flashback moment...only every other kid was wearing skinny jeans instead of rolling them up like we used to back then.  We had poofier hair then too, and nowadays the girls really like to wear their hair straight.  The hot season here seems like it's almost on it's way out, and there's that cozy feeling of "community" when you're at a high school football game.  There's the bright lights, the band playing in the bleachers, the cheerleaders, the players, kids grouped in their little "click's" wandering around everywhere, (besides paying attention to the game)....and then there was my daughter... 

I watched her for a minute before I let her see me.  She makes me smile.  I was having the same moment as the Dad had in the movie Father of the Bride when he remembers his daughter standing there in her sweet little 5 year old braids.  Now my girl is in high-school.  She's growing up so fast.  That night she was wearing a new Jags t-shirt, (for jaguars), that she earned for helping out at the game, and was smiling at everyone around her.  I can tell she's very well liked.  She looked great.  I'm also still trying to get used to her having a boyfriend.  She was walking next to him with their hands locked together.  He plays basketball and seems nice.  It's hard to try and figure out how to be a "cool Mom" while keeping an inconspicuous eye on what's going on...and that sometimes means having to check texts.  I know, I know, I'm the only Mom on the planet that does this, and she doesn't always like it, but she does show me.  It's our attempt at trying to have a "no secrets home".  I tell her I check because I care. 

This month she applied for her school's student council, (I guess they call it Stu-co), and she just found out that she was one of the two they picked out of 16 applicants.  She was so excited to be picked and I'm so proud of her.  She also played her first games of the season with her Barca soccer team this weekend.  They won the first and tied the second.  She plays amazing defense, and lately has been coming up on the otherside of the field more....so it's only a matter of time before she scores a goal.

I never thought this far ahead for what it would be like to have Josie be in high school but I'll admit I like it a ton more than Jr. high.  I still have flashbacks where I see her in braids with scuffs on her knees from playing on her bike all day...and when she used to line her American Girl dolls up in rows.

And she's really become an amazing girl.  I just love her.  Here's a few fun notes she wrote for me today:  (she was trying to earn her cell phone back...and drew me a picture of what she looks like when she has to do the dishes....and then I also made her give me a list of meals that would be "acceptable" for her since she's not a fan of what's in our pantry lately...She makes me laugh.

1 comments:



Unknown said...

"Cloudy with a chance of meatballs..." Mimi, and a remembrance of times past, you have an amazing command of the written word - great stuff Kate


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com