Tia Nena

I guess I took it for granted of how secure it feels to have my man around.  When he's away, I seem to analyze every noise I hear from outside and triple check the locks before going to bed.  Just the other night he was snoring in the couch next to me while I was checking my e-mail, but it didn't bother me because it was comforting just to have him close.  I feel safe when he's home.  When he's gone, I am also reminded to be thankful that he provides for our family so well.  He works an average of 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, and mostly on his feet.  He's allowed to snore....and he needs more rest.

Life seems to have taken him down a few bumpy roads and just yesterday my husband got the call that his sister, Nena passed away.  The doctors weren't exactly sure of the problem, but she had been sick on and off for a couple of years.  Probably we have visited his family in Mexico about 10 different times through our 14 years of marriage and I was fortunate enough to be able to get to know her before her health started to go.  Our daughter Lanie, was named after her Tia Nena, (which is another nickname for Elena).  She was like a second "mother" to Chemo in that she used to take care of him often when he was little and was the one to save a few of his baby pictures through the years.  She loved parties, dancing, and "oldies" music, cooked special meals just for us, and rocked and cuddled all of our kids when they were babies.  She also had a funny habit of  recommending eating an orange for every ailment like headaches or an upset stomach....for hiccups she would tell me to put a red string on my forehead...(?)   If she was uncomfortable she would rarely mention it, and she was always smiling even if we couldn't communicate.  She was very devoted to her church, neighbors, and family.  I remember she used to tease me that I was the "favorite" sister-in-law, and I'd always tell her that she was my favorite too.  She is.  She will be so missed by many.  In the few visits we have had, my kids and I have grown to love her and we'll all miss her kind and welcoming face.

Chemo will be in Mexico for her funeral and visiting with his family for a few days.  He's the youngest of 8 siblings and most of his family, including his Dad, live in Ciudad Hidalgo, Michoacan, Mexico:  (central Mexico)....(getting there basically involves 5 hours by plane, and 5 hours of driving).  It's been almost 3 years since we've all visited there together as a family, and though the circumstances of this visit for him are obviously not ideal,  I do hope somehow he'll have a good visit being with the rest of his family.  It's our hope to try and visit all together again for Christmas if we can.

One of life's toughest lessons is having to say good-bye.  My husband lost one of his sister this week, and I hope the time he's visiting there will ease his heartache.  Life can seem pretty short...and not much else really matters in life, but family.

0 comments:




MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com