Checklists

I have made several attempts at putting together homemade chore charts with fancy grids and star stickers, but it usually seems like after about the second week we all seem to forget about it, and keeping up with the chore chart seems like a chore itself.  It's busy around here during the school week, but I know I need to slow down and take the time to teach my kids a little responsibility around the house.  Chemo warns me that if I always clean up after all of them, they might really get too used to it and not actually learn how to do some things for themselves.  (This can be challenging for a clean freak perfectionist to learn to do).

I read an article one time and learned sometimes it's better to write things down to your kids so you don't have to let your tone of voice or emotions cause stress...so I found myself writing down a list for my highschool daughter of things I'd like her to "work on".  After I looked at the list, I realized some of my requests were a little bizarre and I had a little tiny moment where I could probably imagine what it's like for her to have to live with a Mom like me:

Josie's Jobs:
1.  Delete 177 of your e-mails.  Seriously.
2.  Get the chunks of wax you use for your braces out of the carpet in your room.
3.  Put away all your doodly-do's and tissue wads off your dresser.
4.  Clean out the sink and shower....and feel free to put away your 2 curling irons, brush, hairspray, and makeup.
5.  Clean out your soccer bag.  Do you need all those empty Powerade and water bottles in there?
6.  Ask Mom BEFORE borrowing her clothes out of her closet and then changing your mind and tossing them on your floor instead. 
7.  Your brother Rylan found your high school ID in the car and your money and he thinks it's his now...(maybe you should re-think about getting a wallet or a purse soon).

So I got to thinking, why stop there?  I have 3 other kids...why not make a  list for each of them as well!

Lanie's Jobs:
1.  You had 4 water bottles in your bed.  Why?
2.  T-shirts fit better folded in drawers...and do you really need 5 Twilight shirts?
3.  Can you put your scissors and markers away...Rylan colored on his face today.
4.  Set your alarm clock for school in the morning...sometimes I oversleep too.
5.  Feel free to get rid of a few of the unmatched socks of your 50 different pairs...and don't make fun of me for always saying "feel free".
6.  Put your lunch in your backpack right away in the morning so I don't have to drive back to the school and drop it off to you.
7.  If I had a dollar for every bobby pin I pick up off the floor, I think I'd be a millionaire by now...

Aydan's Jobs:
1.  Put away your Wii remotes and remember to recharge them.
2.  Homework before Club Penguin, and never before 7 a.m. or after 8 p.m. on school days
3.  Stop drinking milk out of the carton.
4.  Feel free to dump the sand out of your shoes before you bring them inside.
5.  When you make forts, put everything back the way it was.
6.  There is a room in the house where you can actually put your dirty laundry.
7.  Rinse the sink after you brush your teeth.  Toothpaste spit in the sink is gross.

Rylan's Jobs:
1.  If you want to play Mario Carts you have to clean up your toys first.
2.  Let me wash your ni-ni once in a while.
3.  Your empty milk sippy cups go in the sink not the floor.
4.  Color on paper not yourself.
5.  When you wrestle with your big brother, let him win once in a while, you make him feel bad sometimes.
6.  Ask me before you decide to eat half the container of Oreo's and smear them on the couch.
7.  Remember to brush your teeth, because I might forget to tell you.

Not everyone is a fan of lists, but for some reason, they help me organize my issues.  I kind of realize I have a lot of issues and if I were to make a list for myself it would be something like this:

Mom's Jobs:
1.  Laugh & smile more.  Take your daughters advice and take that "chill pill".
2.  Admit when you're tired, but be approachable and be there for them.
3.  "Feel free" to love your family and hug and say I love you every day.
4.  Make-out with my husband in front of the kids.  They need to see us show love to each other, and he needs to forget about his hard day at work...and so do you. ;)
5.  Balance hard work with time for relaxing. 
6.  Be an example of selflessness.  Complaining is contagious.
7.  Pray more.  Remember to stop thinking I'm supposed to do this all on my own.

I have a frame in my kitchen with this quote in it:  "A home is walls touched by children, carpets worn by friends, and a hearth warmed with love".  ...not so sure what a hearth is but it all seems to make sense to me!


(and yes, I am making sure my kids read this particular post).

2 comments:



Nicole said...

Hilarious...and so very true. I think I need to make-out with my husband more too. ;)

janet said...

Your husband is definitely going to be interested in the "making out" category once he sees the photos Jen took of you!
Ah Kate, you make me laugh out loud. I so wish I could find the list you made for us (your parents & siblings) once upon a time...you were coming home from college for a visit & wanted us to "straighten up" and get everything all cleaned & spiffy for your arrival...it was hilarious...and very like the lists you just wrote for your kids.
You are an amazing woman...wish I was more like you!


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com