Soccer Mom


I literally have a suntan line where my sunglasses cover my face, and I couldn't care less because today was the 7th game in 2 weekends of tournaments for my daughters soccer team....of which they won all 7 games! It has been an exciting end of season for both the parents and the girls and the competition isn't over as they still have semi-finals to continue with their Open Cup tournament next weekend. The team is playing at such a higher level of skill now, and each girl has their own unique moves and nicknames that the games are guaranteed to be exciting to watch.

The families and parents that show up week after week at their games have become a close bunch of friends too. There are Dad's that pass out sour candy after every goal they make...Mom's that bond about the "moods" our girls put us through and talk about everything from sickness worries to movies...kids wrestling and rolling down the hills and trees behind the chairs of parents watching the games..."occasional" shouts of offsides! penalty! yellow card ref! Who's the best goalie ever?! Good job defense! Look at those moves! Get that out of there! Take the shot!...And we all have a lot of laughs together and cheer each other's girls on with wup-wups and ton's of clapping and lot's of encouragement.

Signing Josie up for a club soccer team was a big decision for us to make, and after 2 years of great coaching, positive support from other parents, practice commitments, and team bonding, it has really turned out to be a great experience. We've been on "soccer time" for a while now...(always figuring out how long it takes to get everyone up and fed and caffienated and out the door and into the car and then to the games 1 hour early to warm up.....and then of course there's the snack planning, fast food and bathroom stops, and sun-shade & chair loading)....

I'm so proud of my daughter. She has become such an amazing athlete, and I'm not just saying that because she's mine, but because it is so true. She is quick, and it always puts a smile on my face to watch her outrun anyone who comes her way. As a defender, it is rare if anyone can get past her! Soccer is a team sport, and I love that she hung in there during some weeks she was burnt out, and for staying committed to finishing strong and doing her best. It has been a great season and I'm excited to see her progress and support her in whichever direction she chooses to go next....I'll always be her #1 fan, (as I am for all my kids).

So what do I love most about being a soccer Mom? Being there.
...the grass. the sun. the team. the game. the whole experience.
...knowing everything has a season, and enjoying every minute of it.

2 comments:



jen said...

GOOOOOOOO Josie! awesome to hear how she did...if they win at semi-finals does she get to go to Oregon?! woo hoo!

elizabeth said...

thats cool Kate. You make me look forward to when I can be a soccer mom...hopefully. :p


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com