Firsts.

My first child...first teeth...first steps....first ear piercing.  First halloween costume, first Christmas.   First plane ride, first vacation.  First emergency room visit.  First bike ride...first goal...first pair of glasses...contacts...braces...cell phone.  First high schooler...first boyfriend...first breakup. 

First homecoming dance. 
That was today...she left to go just 20 minutes ago.


She had been second guessing her decision to not go along with her friends to the dance, and was trying to convince herself that she thought she'd rather stay home tonight.  We actually bought her "first dress" a month ago when we went shopping together, but we ended up returning what she found since she changed her mind about going.  Tonight she was expecting to style all her friends hair for them, but instead, one of her friends surprised her with a homecoming dress and told her she needed to go with them too.  Josie was so surprised and her friend was so sweet to do that for her.  Times have changed and I guess it's cool for girls to go together in groups with or without dates.  Freshman even.

I wish I could say that I was the sweet little doting mother, but the black shoes I suggested evidently made her want to vomit, my jewelry is dated, and she'd rather gouge her eyes out than have help with her hair.  Pinning hair up is so "4th grade", covering up a 6 inch shaving scar with make-up is ridiculous, and wearing a black sweater is out of the question.  There are just so many things I know I need to learn.  I did mention that I didn't have her pretty little ears pierced at 4 months for no reason and when the earrings went on I was "allowed" to hand over some money and granted permission to take one picture.  Just one.

She has her ideas of how she wants things to go.  I'm learning what it means to back off and just observe.  I get it, but I don't think it says anywhere that I have to admit I'm always going to like it.

And I'm literally watching my girl grow up before my eyes.

2 comments:



jen said...

*sniff sniff* ruckus is turning into the most beautiful lady...and I love to hear your heart... love you! :)

janet said...

ROFL! Sigh...you have cloned yourself I think...probably my fault...I used to wish you would have a child just like yourself someday...and you do! I pray she will turn out just as wonderfully as you, and I believe she will...you are both amazing!


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com